Saturday, June 26, 2010

Rain Stories


"I can feel them. Scurrying in circles around me, smaller and smaller circles like rats around a crust of bread or a piece of cheese. Waiting, waiting, waiting for the right moment. The moment when I slip up, when I make a mistake, when I get careless.

I can hear their feet. Some of them pass by the gate on the sidewalks; they think I can’t see them. Some of them are brave enough to rattle the gate; they bring my mail, my bills, they ask for donations. Some of them get into the house while I’m sleeping, and I wake up and I hear their feet on the stairs, yes I do.

I can hear their thoughts. The tall man, he knows. He’s not far…"

–The Serial Killer from F.H. Batacan’s Smaller and Smaller Circles

Running for cover, almost everyone doesn’t want to get wet on rainy days. Why so? For different reasons:

1. They are well-dressed (or over-dressed);

2. They easily get sick after wetting their heads;

3. They claim they are Gremlins (ayoko! dadami ako!);

4. They’re allergic to rain;

5. There is something with or in them which they don’t want to get wet; and

6. They think that today’s rain is now acid rain.

When it’s raining, one could stay beside a window pane, watch while it’s pouring, and think of the happy and sad days, e.g. with your loved ones. Then cry.

Or remember the days when your umbrella was blewn away by the wind.. And of course, skirts flying too!

Everyone prefers to stay at home during rainy days. Students rejoice when the news announces walang pasok! It’s good to eat tsamporado and tuyo, sinigang, sopas, and other soup delights to heat up our system.

Oh the rain reminds me that God wreaked havoc on this world to let us know that we shall not abuse freedom.

"There’s a rainbow always after the rain." –Rainbow, South Border

No comments:

Post a Comment